Thursday, January 22, 2009

Trip Update #4

Sorry it's been awhile since my last post; we have been in places where internet access is very limited and/or expensive.
When I last updated you, I was in Luang Prabang, Laos. From there we traveled south to Vang Vieng, a town along the river known for its beautiful scenery and the tubing. I didn't go tubing, but we did rent bikes and ride out to a large cave that was fun to walk through. I actually took an afternoon to sit in a hammock in a "cabana"by the river and drink a mango shake and read. However, I ate something bad and ended up having pretty bad food posoning, but I'm better now.
From Vang Vieng we traveled south through the capitol Vientiane to an area called 4000 Islands on Mekong River at the border between Laos and Cambodia. We spent a few days there relaxing and spying the rare freshwater Irriwaddy dolphins. The trip from the border to Siem Reap, the town near Angkor Wat, is only a few hundred kilometers, but it took 1 1/2 days on the Cambodian road system, which is paved but not direct. Currently we're here, enjoying the temples and trying out Cambodian cuisine. We started going around Angkor Wat today and it's amazing.
This is a rather bland update, but it's taken a while to type on a slow connection. I'll be in touch again soon with more.

No comments: